By merely living in the U.S., we are automatically using more of the Earth’s resources than we deserve. With this in mind, it’s important to do all we can everyday to minimize our carbon footprint, at home and at work. Perfection isn’t the goal: it’s awareness and continuous improvement. For starters, try taking this Ecological Footprint Quiz and make some targets, just as we have. Keep in mind that reducing your carbon footprint is also a surefire way to reduce your energy costs, add to your savings at home, and increase your profits at work.
Blazon Laurels believes sustainability extends much farther than the environment. We pride ourselves in investing in strong relationships built on mutual trust. We invest in our employees future and professional development. Our organizational culture promotes positive communications, transparency, authenticity and a supportive work environment. We’re fair, conscientious, kind and generous. We’ve implemented systems theory into our organization as a way to remain aligned and within reach of our lofty goals. Living with integrity and making ethical business decisions, based on knowledge and science, is our highest goal. Innovation, quality and effectiveness are valued and encouraged.
We consider ourselves social entrepreneurs and are currently in the process of becoming a Benefit Corporation. Profit is not our primary mission. We’re guided by triple bottom line economic principles. Profit is merely icing on the USDA-certified organic, gluten-free, fair trade chocolate cake. Moreover, we’d like to make a positive impact in the world we live in for future generations. Proudly, we’ve committed to contribute 1% of our sales to environmental groups around the world through 1% for the Planet. We also offer micro-loans around the world through Kiva.org. We hope to build a legacy worthy of great leaders of our time and history. Our intention is to positively influence leaders takes many forms through example, social media and personal interaction. By growing slowly and organically, we’ll build the foundation needed for long-lasting prosperity. We also hope to establish an employee-owned company where we’re all equally engaged in the outcome of our initiatives and success. Our motto: high impact, low consequence.
Blazon Laurels Guidelines
CURRENTLY IN PLACE
- Our employees care about our social and environmental mission.
- We prioritize sourcing local, sustainable or fair trade suppliers.
- We purchase from sustainable and certified sources such as USDA Organic, FSC, ENERGY STAR and more.
- Our banking services are provided by a Certified B Corporation.
- Our company is 100% woman-owned.
- 50% of our Advisory Board is from underrepresented populations.
- Our recycling program includes paper, cardboard, plastic and glass.
- We use non-toxic janitorial products and organic sustainable kitchen products.
- We minimize our printing needs and 100% of our company’s printed materials use recycled or FSC-certified paper and soy-based inks.
- Our services are specifically designed to drive capital to purpose-driven enterprises as well as address economic inequality, health and safety issues.
- Our company promotes education, professional development and advancement by providing essential knowledge and skills training.
- Energy conservation and water efficiency programs are in place, and we aspire to have a LEED-certified facility with renewable energy sources in the future.
- We aspire to monitor and record our greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) in accordance with GRI standards.
- We aspire to track key performance metrics to determine if we’re meeting our social and environmental objectives.
- We log hundreds of community service hours per year.
- Our company has created public partnerships with several charitable organizations, consistently supplying them with promotional, volunteer and financial support.
- Our company donates 5-9% of our profits (equal to 1.1–2.4% of sales) to charity and is establishing a community-based selection process for nonprofit organizations to receive charitable donations.